Allez au contenu Allez à la navigation

The Protestant Temple

The Protestant Temple

The protestant faith was publicly founded in 1844, but it was 1888 before the first temple was built on what is now the Rue Victor Schleiter.

Until 1889, religious services in Verdun were held in a specially converted barn at 19 Rue Victor Schleiter. Owner Mr. Newenham donated the land and the barn to the church for the purposes of constructing a temple devoted to the faith on the land. An architect by the name of Chenevier was put in charge of the work and the construction of the temple was completed in 1889.

The low-key façade is topped with a simple triangular pediment and adorned with a large, 6-point rosette whilst above the portal, which has a pillar topped with a Corinthian capital on either side, you’ll find a gospel featuring alpha and omega, representing Christ.

On 21st February 1916 the building was damaged during the bombings, its doors and windows shattered and the Bible, which remained opened at all times on the communion table, punctured by a piece of shrapnel.

Both the temple and the presbytery were repaired in 1920.

The Protestant Temple