The Chaussée Tower was built in 1380 with the help of wealthy draper Jean Wautrec and was bought off the state by the City of Verdun in 1899.
The Chaussée Tower was named after the road built in the 12th Century from the right bank of the Meuse heading east. Its architecture reflects its dual role as both a gateway and a fortification system in the form of two imposing round twin towers connected by a portico and serving as both a passageway and a defence mechanism.
The tower consists of three stories above the cellar with a rooftop terrace topped with battlements and machicolations and adorned with a series of gargoyles.
Following an incident of subsidence in 1690, the southern part of the structure had to be entirely destroyed and was rebuilt in an identical fashion using the old stone. Only the entrance was altered, with the addition of a pediment and a semicircular arch in the place of the original ogival arch.
The Chaussée Tower was listed as a historic monument in 1881.